In honor of Carl E. Clemens (1908-1989)
This park, located in the Queens neighborhood of Ridgewood, is named in honor of Carl E. Clemens (1908-1989), a community leader and former owner of The Ridgewood Times newspaper.
During the depression, the paper suffered fiscally and in 1933, Clemens bought a portion, becoming one of three new owners. He became solo owner of the paper in 1955 and worked as owner and publisher until he retired in 1982. Clemen’s involvement with The Ridgewood Times contributed to its extensive collaboration with civic groups to improve libraries, schools, senior centers, and other community establishments. The paper was renamed The Times Newsweekly in 1989.
In 1936, the Board of Alderman submitted a resolution to name this park “Times Triangle”, after the Ridgewood Times building across the street. In 1985, Mayor Ed Koch renamed the area Carl Clemens Triangle – an unusual honor at the time because Clemens was still alive to witness it. Commissioner Henry Stern shortened the park’s name to Clemens Triangle in 1987.