RIDGEWOOD LOCAL DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
62-14 Myrtle Avenue
Glendale, N.Y. 11385
The Ridgewood Local Development Corporation (RLDC) was formed in 1978 as an outgrowth of community Board #5’s Myrtle Avenue Revitalization Committee. Concerned community and businesspersons joined forces to combat adverse conditions affecting Myrtle Avenue and the 300 establishments on the 11-block commercial strip, which serves 250,000 Queens and Brooklyn residents in the neighborhoods comprising Greater Ridgewood.
In 1984 RLDC successfully completed a $2.3 million Capital Improvement Project, repaving Myrtle Avenue and providing street and sidewalk amenities. Security and Storefront Improvement Programs benefited merchants through subsidy programs. RLDC formed the Myrtle Avenue Business Improvement District on July 1st, 1988.
The RLDC has expanded its service area to include industrial areas and in particular South of Myrtle Avenue Industrial Area (SOMA), a triangular portion of Southeast Ridgewood, offering great potential for industrial growth. RLDC has established ongoing dialogue with industrial business leaders, worked with City Planning and other city agencies in proposing recommendations to upgrade and increase zoning allowances and increase overall industry capacity.
RLDC is expanding its outreach to include commercial/retail and industrial sectors throughout the Greater Ridgewood area and has met with key leaders from the Fresh Pond Road, Glendale and Middle Village Chambers of Commerce to assess their needs on an individual and community-wide level and develop a strategy for collaborative fund-raising for community related and service delivery programs. RLDC is also exploring the feasibility of revamping the long-dormant Ridgewood Chamber whose charter dates back to 1916.